Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Dinner and a Movie


Hello all! My name is V.L. Locey.  I am a self-published and traditionally published author that lives in the mountains of Pennsylvania with my husband of over twenty-one years, my sixteen year old daughter, a herd of dairy goats, chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, three dogs, two cats, and a partridge in a pear tree. For more info about me and contact links, check out the author bio tab up above.

 
Today I have a one shot for you about a night out that I think all new parents can relate to.

 
Enjoy!

 

 

Dinner and a Movie

 

                                                                               
 

V.L. Locey

 

 

 

 

*~*~*

 

 

 

                “I think we should call. Don`t you think we should call?”

 

                “Jase, I think you should try to decide what you`re having for an appetizer,” I smiled over the top of my menu at my partner. Jason looked like he was ready to take to wing. I had seen the man like this a few times over the ten years we had been together, but never quite this bad. Out of the two of us Jason Lang is the worrier and Philip DeLong is the Que Sera Sera sort of fellow. Even with the addition of Regina into our lives six months ago, I can`t seem to reach the flighty heights of distress that Jase can with such ease. Good thing I love the man so or I would kick him in the shin.

 

                Jason closed his brown eyes and blew out a calming breath. “You`re right,” the swarthy man admitted, lowering his menu to grab his glass of red wine. “She`s with my mother, she`ll be fine. I`m sorry I`m such a wreck.” Jase downed his wine in one long gulp. Not a good sign.

 

                “It`s okay, I`m used to your wreck stages,” I admitted and went back to perusing the menu.

 

                “It`s just that this is first time we`ve left her since she was born,” Jase said. I was nodding and trying to decide between the clam strips or the battered eggplant.

 

                “I know, babe,” I replied, hoping to alleviate some of his worry. He flagged down the waiter and had his wine glass refilled. I cocked an eyebrow at him. The handsome bugger didn`t even try to look abashed.

 

                “Don`t even try to chastise me, Philip,” Jase warned then tossed half the glass back like it was water.

 

                “Jase, look at me,” I laid the menu aside and placed my forearms to the red and white checkered tablecloth. Jason glanced at me with worried chocolate eyes. “Regina is fine. Your mother knows how to take care of a baby; she took care of you, right?” Jason rolled his eyes and nodded curtly, his fingers nervously tapping his cell phone beside his salad bowl. “It`s been six months. We need to learn how to be a couple as well as parents. I miss alone time with you.”

 

                Jason stopped acting so put out. His expression shifted from irritation to infatuation. “I miss alone time with you too,” he confessed, reaching around the basket of breadsticks for my left hand. I gladly slid my fingers into his. He was just as attractive to me now as he had been when we met eleven years ago. Dark and handsome and quirky, that`s the man I love. “I guess I just get so wrapped up in being a dad that I forget I have to be the lover on occasion.”

 

                “Hey, I`m not complaining about your dedication to our daughter,” I quickly interjected. A waiter rushed past making the squat candles on the table dance. “I wish I was half the father you are.”

 

                “Stop,” he said firmly. “You`re a wonderful father to Regina,” he chided, “Even April says so and she`s the girl`s mother, so stop berating yourself for not acting like a crazed loon like I do all the time.”

 

                I shrugged. I did seem to feel out of odds in our little family equation at times. April, our dear friend and the woman who carried Regina for Jason and I, was an open part of our lives as was agreed upon before the artificial insemination procedure occurred. She did not live with us but she came to see Regina at least once a week. We planned to ensure Regina knew her mother well as she grew up. She`d need some of that female influence only having two fathers. I loved our daughter dearly but didn`t seem to obsess like Jason did. Many a night I lay awake, listening to the two of them in the nursery, wondering if I was lacking some key parental element. I shook my thoughts away. This was supposed to be an enjoyable night out, not a pity party for Philip.

 

                “Phil, we balance each other. You`ve said it yourself,” Jase squeezed my hand.

 

                “Yeah, I suppose we do,” I smiled over the table. “Lord knows someone has to be the grounded one.”

 

                “If not for you insisting we come here I`d have ordered our meals to go and been back home curled on the bed with my two favorite people in the world, like I am every stinking night.”

 

                I stared at my partner as the smell of a passing platter of marinara wafted under my nose.

 

                “You call your mother, I`ll flag down the waiter and tell him we want two baked rigatoni dinners to go.”

 

                “I love you.” Jase grinned in relief, the phone already at his ear.

 

                “I love you too. Waiter!”

 

 

 

2 comments: