Saturday, January 19, 2013

Wind In White Birch - Issue # 3

Hello all! My name is V.L. Locey.  I am a self-published and traditionally published author that lives in the mountains of Pennsylvania with my husband of over twenty-one years, my sixteen year old daughter, a herd of dairy goats, chickens, geese, ducks, turkeys, three dogs, two cats, and a partridge in a pear tree. For more info about me and contact links, check out the author bio tab up above.



Enough about me, let`s get back to Wind in White Birch and our lovers Jonah and Dana.






Wind in White Birch

By

V.L. Locey

Chapter Three

*~*~*

It`s so funny how the mind conjures up smells to tantalize and befuddle merely from hearing someone` s voice. Standing amid the carnage that is my family I could smell Jonah Big Deer. Yes, he was in a different state but my nose seemed to think he was right beside me. The dark spice and evergreen scent of the man nearly overwhelmed me. Then reality barged in and opened a damned window. The sensual smell of sexy man was replaced with a cloud of dollar store perfume and Ben-Gay.

“Can you hold on for one minute?” I asked sweetly.

“Sure, sounds like your busy,” he said. That deep sinful bass rumbling out of the phone nearly gave me an eargasm.

“Sort of,” I smiled stupidly, placed the phone to my shoulder then spun around like a possessed woman. “Can you please SHUT UP?!” I shouted at the Zajac sisters.

All five women and one wiener dog fell into silence.  My grandmother`s penciled eyebrows flew up to her red hairline. Shit. That outburst was going to cost me.

“Sorry honey,” Jo-Jo cooed, waddling over to fetch her dog. I nodded and lifted the phone. “Keep it down you old bats! That`s hot Jonah on the phone!”

My stomach lurched. Jo gave me two big thumbs ups. I could hear Jonah chuckling back in New York State.

“Can you call me on my cell?” I turned my back to the low whispers.

“Sure, can you give it to me again? I lost it. Do you know how many bookstores there are in Pittsburgh?” he inquired. Something tingled in my heart.

“You called them all?” I sighed like a tween spotting Justin Beiber.

“It was the only way to get a hold of you.”

Oh God. The tingle grew into an erratic spasm of heart muscle. I gave him my personal number, hung up, and ran outside. My aunts and grandmother watched me dash past with various looks ranging from happiness to confusion to downright ire. Before I even had the door closed properly my What`s New Pussycat ringtone erupted in my pocket. The wind tore through my slacks and thin green sweater. It was freezing out here. Maybe I should have gone down to the basement. Ah well, too late now. If I went back in my grandmother would be all over me like ugly on an ape for telling her and my aunts to shut up.

“Hey!” I said trying to sound chipper despite the minus seven wind chill.

“Hey, listen, are you doing anything this weekend?” Jonah asked. I heard an underlying river of excitement in his voice.

“Well, I have a family birthday party to go to tomorrow night but then I`m free. Why?” I turned away from the pedestrians and the arctic zephyrs roaring down 22nd Street.

“How would you like to come up here for the weekend? I have something to show you.”

I hesitated. He picked right up on it.

“I swear I am not inviting you up here to try to lure you into bed,” he said and I believed him. He had been given a glowing chance to have his way with me back on that disastrous first date of ours. Jonah had been more than a gentleman, kindly and gently refusing to let things get out of hand when I was tipsy.

“I know.  I was just hesitant because of Rhett.” I winced as it came out. Here it came. The reality finally sinking into the young man`s head that the older woman had a kid and that kid would muck up their plans. “His father is out of town for two weeks on a photo shoot and I can`t ask my grandmother to watch him for that long. He`d run her into a hole.”

“Rhett can come along. We`ve got snow up here. We`ll do some snowmobiling, if you`re cool with that?”

Okay. That muscle spasm in my heart I mentioned earlier? It was now more than a mere spasm. It was a full-fledged charlie horse of girly coronary stimulation.

“You`re okay with Rhett coming.” I said as a dull statement tinged with shock, not a question. I could almost see him rolling those ebony eyes at my slow-witted ways. “Are you for real?”

He laughed. The vibrations raced across phone lines and directly into my body, making all sorts of heat pool in very private places. Suddenly the wind and bitter temperatures didn`t feel so bad. It was actually kind of pleasant out here. Like a spring day!

“Yeah, I think I am anyway. So, what do you say? I`ll come down and get you and the midget tomorrow. I can peel out of work early and be at your place around seven?”

God it was hard to put him off. His enthusiasm was contagious and I didn`t even know what had him so animated.

“I have that party,” I reminded him staring through the frosty glass on the door. “It starts at seven.”

“Oh, well how about I meet you there and then we can leave after you socialize for awhile? I mean, if that`s what you want to do. I don`t want you to feel like I`m pressuring you to spend time with me if you don`t-”

“No! I mean, no, I would love to spend the weekend with you. Where would we stay?”

“You can stay at my place, or, if that`s too uncomfortable for you, Andy has a huge house and he already said you were more than welcome.”

Okay. That sounded reasonable. Rhett and I would stay at Jonah`s grandfathers. That way no hint of hanky or panky could take place. I had to keep my foot firmly on the brake. It had been over a year since I had ‘been with’ a man. I didn`t want my lust to override my common sense if at all possible.

“Uhm, are you sure you want to spend a couple hours with my family?” I asked, my nose pressed to the cold pane of glass. My aunts and grandmother were in quite a heated conversation. When Aunt Mary saw me she smiled and waved. All the well lipsticked mouths clamped shut. Yep. They were talking about me.

“Dana, I`m fine with your family. I already know Miss Jo and her dog. How bad can the rest be?”

I caught the infrared glare from my grandmother. I blew on the glass to obliterate my face to those inside.

“Oh, you`d be amazed,” I sighed.


2 comments:

  1. "Eargasm"--you do have a way with words! And Jonah has a way with my heart" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jonah seems to be sweeping women off their feet. The woman that writes him included! Thanks for stopping in, Michele.

    ReplyDelete