Monday, September 9, 2013

Just Another After School Special - Part Two

"Hey guys, I'm Nick Meyer. I'm a business and accounting major with a physics minor. I'm in the graduate program and teaching beginning math classes cause, let's face it, we all know tuition here is killer. So, on that note, welcome to Math 1000 and I'll be your teacher this semester.”

I groaned inwardly, I was in a world of trouble.




Just Another After School Special
Part Two
By
Eva Rayne

I never made any conscious plans to go after Nick, the idea of starting an affair with a professor never crossed my mind. But that's exactly what I ended up doing.

The fifty minute class seemed to fly by. I even caught myself laughing at one point. Nick – he encouraged us to call him by his first name, apparently being referred to as 'Mr. Meyer' freaked him out – said he understood that most of us were only taking this class to fulfill our math requirement and wasn't surprised when none of us were going into a math related field.

Because of that, he said he would try to make the class as laid back as possible, only covering the things we absolutely had to know, and try to not make us hate him. By the looks some of the other girls in the class were giving him, I had a hard time thinking anyone would actually hate him.

I was surprised when I was slightly disappointed when class ended. I was even more surprised when I found my self hanging back as the rest of the class trickled out of the room. Once I was the only one left in the room I slipped my back pack over my shoulder and made my way up to the front of the room where Nick was slipping the folder he had stuck the attendance sheet into his back pack.

He looked up at me and smiled, although you could tell he was surprised I was still in the room. “Is there something I can help you with...” I could see him struggling to remember my name.

Isabel,” I told him, “But you can call me Izzie, or Bell. That's what my friends call me.”

Alright then, Izzie. What can I do for you?” His easy smile was back on his lips and I suddenly had no idea what to say or what I was even still doing here.

I, um, well you see, math isn't my best subject,” I tripped over my words, having more difficulty stringing a sentence together than I think I ever had.

He laughed, “I try to keep this class pretty easy, especially since we're first thing in the morning, I know this isn't how you guys want to start your day. We'll just cover the basics that I know are on the final.”

I smiled, nodding. Nick glanced at his watch and I wondered if I was being dismissed.

But, if you are having trouble please let me know. I have no problem tutoring you or helping you work through the homework.”

That would be great,” I told him, knowing I was smiling like an idiot. “I would really appreciate that.”

Here, let me see your notebook,” he said, holding out his hand. I pulled the blue notebook that I had been using in class out of my back pack and handed it to him, instantly embarrassed about all of the doodles I had made in the margins. There was no need to be though because Nick flipped to one of the last pages and wrote his phone number in the same clear block letters he had used on the board.

Shoot me a text sometime later today so I have your number and then feel free to use it whenever you want to.”

Thank you,” I said, hoping the smile on my lips was more cool and confident than it felt.

You're welcome, Izzie. I hope you enjoy the class,” he glanced at his watch again. “I'm sorry, but I really do have to run, my advanced accounting class is on the other side of campus and starts, well, now.” He chuckled, “I'll see you Friday morning,”

Definitely,” I told him as he slipped his back pack over his shoulder.

With an easy smile he told me to have a good day and disappeared out of the room. “You too,” I whispered quietly, long after he was out of ear shot. I looked at his number in my notebook one more time before returning it to my back pack.

Tori was never going to believe this.

1 comment: