Monday, September 16, 2013

Just Another After School Special - Part Three


Just Another After School Special
Part Three
By
Eva Rayne



It was almost two weeks before I talked myself into using Nick's number.

The first handful of classes were just a review of basic algebra; things we should have covered back in high school but would still be on our first test. Tori kept telling me that I should just suck it up and call him, after all, he did give me his cell number instead of just telling me to email him at his school address if I had any questions.

I was torn though. He didn't give me any sort of special treatment in class, not that I wanted him to. Although, he did always smile when I walked in, and I had noticed that my name had been changed to 'Izzie' on the attendance sheet he passed around at the start of our second class.

It was the Thursday night of our third week at school and Tori had made Nick the center of our conversation once again while she got ready for a party in my room.

For God's sake Iz, just text the man already!” Tori exclaimed, pointing a stick of eyeliner at me. “Pretend that you don't understand those liney things that you're doing in class if you have to.”

I do understand them though,” I said from where I sat on the edge of my bed, “for the most part at least.” I hugged the throw pillow that was in my lap as her reflection in the mirror glared at me.

Come on girl, he gave you his personal number! Not an office number or his stupid school issued email that was on the syllabus, but his fucking cell phone number. He basically told you to call him!”

I groaned, falling onto my back and pressing the pillow over my face, muttering a string of excuses. It didn't matter if Tori couldn't understand them through the pillow, she had been hearing them all for days now.

Fine!” Tori snapped, spinning around and plucking my phone off my dresser. “Either you do it or I will!”

I sat up quickly, eyes wide as she held my phone out to me, when I hesitated she wiggled it, “Going once, going twice...” I bit my lip, not knowing what to do. “Looks like I'm doing it,” she said with a smirk pulling the phone away from me.

Wait! I'll do it!” I cried, snatching the phone out of her hand before she did something I would end up hating her for.

Good girl,” she said with a chuckle, plopping down on the bed next to me.

Tori watched over my shoulder as I opened a new text message and make 'tick tock' noises when I hesitated before typing. Before I could chicken out I wrote Hey, it's Izzie. Are you busy? and hit send before I could talk myself out of it.

You're so boring,” Tori informed me before getting up and going back to perfecting her hair.

Have you ever thought about getting ready in your own room then?” I shot back, watching my phone as if it was going to explode at any second. Tori just stuck her tongue out at me over her shoulder and went back to what she was doing.

Tori was almost ready for her sorority party when my phone chimed, alerting me that I had an unread text message. She squealed and ran over to me, pulling my phone out of my hand almost before I had finished reading the message.

Hey Izzie. I'm glad you texted me, I was just thinking about you.

Tori squealed happily and did a little dance before tossing my phone back into my lap. “What did I tell you? See, your life would be so boring without me!”

When I didn't respond she wiggled my foot, “So what are you gonna say?”

I almost didn't hear her though, the last few words of Nick's message still running though my mind.

I was just thinking about you...

2 comments:

  1. Oooo, this is going somewhere, I can feel it!

    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm pretty excited for what comes next!

    ReplyDelete